Sunday, July 6, 2014

All Lit Up With Peach Cobbler


                         


My version of a carbide light

Here is my version of the carbide light I was asked to make.  When the original was presented for me (pictured 5/7 post), I had to think about how I would go about creating one that was stable and not top heavy.  Lucky for me, I had a piece of metal that I could cut for the reflector.  I am sure it was purchased for another project, but what it was I have no idea (that is why I have multiple notebooks handy so I can keep track of fleeting ideas...apparently not all of them though).  I took the flat disk and beat it with a hammer over a rounded rock to give it some dimension.  I used 2 screws to represent the roller and flint.  I was told that the hanger on the back was important, so I dug through my rusty bits and found the perfect piece.  While digging, I found a well worn bottle top for the fluid lid which I was able to hinge into place.  I am very pleased with the way it turned out...really, I am just pleased that it does not fall over all the time.

We have had wonderful weather this week topped off with some very yummy peach cobbler.  On our way home from our reunion, we were lured off the interstate with signs stating that a vendor had Georgia peaches.  In Knoxville we are only offered South Carolina peaches but I think Georgia peaches are the best!  Now, don't get me wrong...South Carolina peaches are good and there may be great peaches in other parts, but I don't think you can beat a juicy, tart Georgia peach.  So it was a real treat to enjoy them in a warm cobbler topped with sugar and cinnamon.  It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.  Yummy!

Easy Peach Cobbler

3 cups peaches, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup butter
1 cup bisquick
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar, plus some to sprinkle on top before cooking
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1tablespoon cinnamon, plus some to sprinkle on top before cooking

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a 9x13 pan, place stick of butter and put in oven to melt.  While butter is melting, mix bisquick, milk, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.  Once butter has melted, pour liquid mixture over the butter and place the chunks of peaches on top of the batter.  Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top and bake for 45 minutes

Let cool a little before trying because, if you are like me, you will want to dig into it right away. With fork ready, I always seem to forget how hot 350 degrees is. 

I'm off to watch the comedy The Invisible Woman from 1941, staring John Barrymore.  It should be a good before bed movie.

Sleep tight,
Hilari

etsy.com/shop/skinnydipperdesigns




No comments:

Post a Comment