Sunday, January 4, 2015

A Work in Progress


I always enjoy the holiday season...from feeding 14 at Thanksgiving all the way to making sure I get the Peeps for my father-in-law for Christmas.  I really really love the twinkley lights and the Christmas music playing everywhere. With that said, I am equally relieved when the holidays have come to an end. I make many of our gifts and am responsible for the hunting and gathering of the rest, so after all the festivities have been enjoyed, I am glad for a reprieve.






Before putting up all the decorations and outside lights, I have had a few moments to spend in the workshop.  Unfortunately, this is how I roll while trying to figure out a new idea.  This here...that there...and as always, the thing I am looking for is hiding under something else.  I have a new automata idea where a larger wheel (pictured left) will spin outside of a wooden box (center) which will move a circle of wire around a wooden 6- 8 inch tall dowel glued to the top of the box.  The wire will carry a small Superman which will circle around a person reading a comic book standing on the top of the dowel.  Clear as mud, right?  Now, you can see how my focus can create a work table that looks like this.  This time, though, I made a mock-up out of cardboard which will save a lot of wood from being unnecessarily sacrificed due to:  I think this is the right size...nope...how about a little bigger??...maybe smaller??

 A more completed idea


Yesterday I spent the day with BFF, who is back in the hospital.  Actually, that was day #22 for her second go around.  She is hanging in there but has moments of angst because all the test, doctors, pokes and prods have not been able to give the answers.  Watching someone go through this sure puts things in perspective. It is hard to complain about a bad day while others are so ill they are separated from their family and home, for days on end, especially during this time of year.  Yuck!

On a lighter note: You know when you are with the right person when he sees past the hair up in a bandana, Godzilla t shirt, and Christmas fleece pants and says that he thinks you are sexy while you are working with the scroll saw.  I think I'll keep him!

I hope everyone had a joyful holiday and safe new year!

Peace,
Hilari
 











No comments:

Post a Comment