Thursday, February 16, 2023

The Chosen One


Enjoying The Breeze

I have come to realize that as the years pass I am much less inclined to create as winter sets in.  I still make just not with the zest of ideas flowing.  I crochet with gusto but it is usually with others' patterns or my fallback of Granny Square blankets which I donate to an organization called Project Linus.  If you are a blanket maker (crochet, quilter, knitter, fleece, etc...individual or group) in need of producing please check them out.  It seems I homestead in the colder months with the comfortable but this season I am branching out...all the way to embroidery.  I have been enjoying the process shown through online classes and have made 2 books with simple, quirky stitched covers.  At this point, which is very early in my journey, I have grand plans for 2023 Christmas presents.  I sure hope it sticks.

Even though my creative urge is snuggled up in a cozy blanket on the couch for the moment, the sunshine and warmth of the last summer had me going strong.  And with the smell of fresh cut grass this was created. 

This one knew exactly what it was going to be before it even got started.  While helping a friend load her firewood bin I picked up the next piece to be stacked and it said "Whoa, slow down, check me out".  Well, who can resist that.  I gave it a good once over, even noticing it had a nice flat bottom so no adjustment would be needed there.  I told it "Yes, you surely are a nice piece of wood".  Again it spoke, " Now that I have your attention here is what I want to be..." and within a week and a half it was complete.  



With the finished concept thrust at me I just had to jump right in and find my starting place. I sanded the front of the wood making sure I left the beautiful cut marks while leaving the back untouched to show off the textured bark. I gathered my chiseling tools and carved out the niche which set the size of the air dried clay figure.  Next I placed the crank at the bottom of the wood because, well, that was where I was told to put it.  When this is engaged the thin wire makes the body's legs kick around.  

Another creative end game was thrust upon me during the same time, making metal mobiles. More about that later, but with it came about the haze of clouds lazily floating over his head.  After all was completed as asked, or rather demanded, I added my own touch of the bright yellow flower.  With this I knew it was finished.

Each spring our city has a month-long Dogwood Arts Festival which, as it sounds, is a celebration of nature, both natural and gardens, and the arts.  I am happy to say that this piece was chosen out of 415 judged entries to be one of 45 displayed in the downtown gallery. It was very exciting to see it out in the wild being shared with others.

With being just past the middle of February we are well on our way to spring. Happy Early Pre-Spring to all.
Hilari



 

No comments:

Post a Comment