Monday, September 17, 2018

Simple Yet Deceiving


Hooray...Good Job...Go Team.  When the red knob is cranked the hands will clap and smiles ensue.   This was one of the mechanisms that I had trouble understanding and wanted to conquer while at Arrowmont.  Once again my teacher was able to give guidance and I was off and running.   I started with a solid block and cut out a rectangle by drilling holes in each corner and using the scroll saw to sever from hole to hole.  As I have stated, I do not like making boxes because they call for precision, and of this I am lacking. It will not replace the need for making boxes in the future but for this application it was perfect.  I drilled 2 holes through the top crossbar and 1 hole straight across in each sidebar. Using wire, surprise... surprise, I ran a piece through the side holes and bent it so it will move in a circular motion when cranked.  To make the hands move I had to feed the wire through the top holes, cross them, and loosely connect them to the cross wire.  Because the wires are crossed, the circular motion makes the loose connections move across the wire which in turns makes the hands open and close.  A bit confusing but when seen it is an Ahhh moment.



I highly suggest watching Blair Summerville: Lost and Found - Worlds Largest Collection of Rustic Automata on YouTube.  It is quite incredible what he makes out of found items.  This is where I caught a glimpse of this piece and the idea for the mermaid from my last blog.


Yesterday was my first try at home made apple cider.  Using our crockpot, 10 apples, one orange, cinnamon, sugar and cloves, I made the house smell terrific.  Although the juice came out a bit weak...the recipe said to cover the apples, which float, so therefore I kept adding water...I believe with the addition of more spices it may be salvageable.  I shall be testing it out shortly.

On this rainy evening I am off to a comfort meal of ham slices with mac and cheese.  Can't get much better than that.
Peace,
Hilari






No comments:

Post a Comment